Monday, September 11, 2006

Dream a little dream...


... of me... in the third person.

Had an interesting conversation the other day about dreaming. A friend told me she often dreams in the third person, as in she "sees" herself in her dreams, like watching herself in a movie and hardly ever dreams in the first person, as in seeing the dream the way you view the world while awake.

I have never, to my recall, seen myself in a dream. My dreams are always first person. Of course, I'm tuned to the "All Me, All the Time" station, so that could explain that, but none of the other people around the table had ever had a third person dream before either.

And, interestingly, all of the men said they usually dream in black and white, only rarely in colour and most of the women said they dream exclusively in colour.

So my question is this: when you dream, do you dream in the first or third person? In colour or black & white? Do you have recurring dreams? Nightmares? Ever have a dream come true? Ever had a lucid dream? Ever been visited by the Old Hag? Tell us your dreams...

8 Comments:

Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

First person, colour, usually scoring three times in the last ten minutes to win the FA Cup Final.

Or, as captain of the USS Jensen Buttocks with a naked, all-female crew.

My dreams are *very* specific.

September 11, 2006 at 6:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dreams are my only refuge nowadays.

Except when I have politically correct ones.

September 11, 2006 at 6:43 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Hm. Always first person, always in colour. Dreaming in black and white would be weird, like being in a 50's sci-fi film or something.

I've had a couple of recurring dreams when I was younger, but they didn't make any sense, unless being afraid of a herd of buffalo who turned out to be people on horseback, and then having a tidal wave show up makes sense.

Oh wait, someone's at the door... hey! HEY! Stop that with the straitjacket!!! Argh! Urgh!

[muffled noises and sirens]

September 11, 2006 at 12:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always first person, always in colour (I'm male, married, age 40+). The only recurring part tends to be the ending where I'm convinced that I am in terminal free fall - only to land with a THUD onto the bed. Doesn't do my heart any good I assure you, and it's usually a good 15 minutes before the adrenaline has worn off so that I can get back to sleep.
I've never bothered with dream analysis though, but you are welcome to try on the basis of the above.....!

September 11, 2006 at 1:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto as far as I can remember!

(...no, not ditto the Scary stuff...)

September 11, 2006 at 3:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, thirty-something female: always in colour, but occasionally in third person. I definitely had an Old Hag dream that was recurrent when I was around 6 or 7: driving in the car with my parents (who later got acrimoniously divorced), the moon over a tall building in Boston transformed into a menacing (!) orange starfish that then morphed into the head of a white hag witch whom, naturally, only I saw or felt threatened by. It's been a while since I had specific nightmares, maybe around the time of the end-of-year tsunami a couple years ago, and that was pretty easy to interpret.

September 14, 2006 at 4:25 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Alethea - fancy meeting you here!

I had a dream last night that a very good friend of mine was marrying Wyldwoods, which is a bit weird. They made a nice couple though.

September 14, 2006 at 1:54 p.m.  
Blogger Jim Cooper said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. How about a continuing dream? I recently wrote a dream blog post where I talked abot a dream continuing from one night to the next.
Color...always
Third person..sometimes
Nightmares...yes
Recurring - yes

September 15, 2006 at 12:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home