Monday, November 06, 2006

EXTRA! Hag has heart

My hit counter just clicked over on my 13,000th visitor. Which is kind of mind boggling for such a silly little blog with only 225 posts that only began a little over a year ago. I got 2 whole comments on that first post, which was pretty exciting.
I'd like to say who the 13,000th person was, but they're only identified as "United States," not even a city mentioned, so that leaves a lot of wiggle room. They got here by searching "old hag dream." So, welcome unidentified American person who may being having nasty sleep paralysis incidents. Hope you enjoyed your stay.

And speaking of mileage and old hags, I think my doctor is trying to tell me something.

I had my first EKG* today. A baseline, said the doc when she ordered it. That's my third baseline test of one kind or another in the last little while. What's with this baseline thing? Are they trying to tell me this is my personal health zenith and that it's all downhill from here? Why do we need to measure this stuff? So we'll know just how fast I'm deteriorating? Are they trying to tell me I'm on the luge ride to oldhagdom?

*sigh* Well, it sure beats the heck out of the alternative. And luckily for me, black is a good colour for me. Now to find me a darling little apple basket and I'll be all set. Apple, my pretties?

*You'll be pleased and perhaps more than a little shocked to find that I do, in fact, possess a heart.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it was baseline, not flat line.

November 7, 2006 at 6:38 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Good point.

Now we have a starting point to watch as I approach flatline...

November 7, 2006 at 9:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the Momentous Your-Birthday-Is-Coming-Up Checkup, like the one when you're 18 (who cares if you're not sexually active! If you ever want to have children you must have this cold metal thingy shoved up your crotch!), and the one when you're 40 (who cares if you've been having the doctor check for lumps since you developed breasts! If you want to live past 50, you must have your most tender parts squished in so many directions that you fear they'll never go back to their original shape!). I'm not denying that the tests are probably necessary, but it's such an arbitrary thing. Yesterday, of course, you were 100% healthy, but if you cross that imaginary age line today, your body will suddenly start to fall apart!

I guess it would make more sense to me if they did these tests throughout your whole life (well, except for the ones that aren't relevant before you hit puberty -- but those shouldn't have an age limit anyway, you may hit puberty before/after the average). Wouldn't it make sense to have some kind of baseline chart through all the years of your life? Then you could track things. e.g. For the last five years at this time, your cholesterol was X and your weight was Y, but this year both are higher than your personal average, which may not be healthy for you... That kind of thing. With computer software available so that everything could be easily referenced in relation to everything else, it wouldn't be the paperwork ordeal that it would have been in previous years.

Sorry. Rambling. Apparently this is a peeve I didn't know I had.

November 9, 2006 at 11:38 a.m.  
Blogger The Aunt said...

Fish oils.

Oh, you're Canadian.

Well, oatmeal as well then.

November 10, 2006 at 1:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home