Thursday, January 04, 2007

Christmas 2006 - Part the Fourth - OR - There's more of gravy than of grave


Good day and welcome to this, our fourth and final installment of Christmas 2006 - What Could Go Wrong?

This year I was more organized preparing Christmas dinner than ever before. The fact that I was alone in the house due to WO1 & 2 having gone out to make their appearance at FU's place probably didn't hurt. I was so organized... well, it was a thing of beauty. I say, a thing of beauty.

The table was charmingly set with best china and silver, bestest Christmas crackers ready to be cracked, everthing was ready at exactly the same time - the bird, the veggies, the dressing and the gravy... why. the gravy was the best I've ever made. The apple pie and ice cream were ready.

So we won't mention the fact that for the first time in my life I burnt the dressing to a crisp, all right? It'll just be a secret between you and me.

And the lesson I learned from this? It doesn't take the dressing as long to cook outside the bird as it does inside. Where it was cooking because it was a small bird and we like lots of dressing and it's worked fine before, so nyah. Also. Pay attention to EVERYTHING when you're cooking, even the things you know you can't mess up. Don't be a eejit. I see a theme for 2007 emerging here.

Stay tuned for the New Year's saga - Happy New Year! - OR - Mama, get Jethro away from that fuse

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cookery rule #1.

If something can be overdone, it will be.

Even top cooks/cateres have the same problem.

The only exceptions, are white meat, and things that need to 'rise', in which case, they will refuse all attempts at being done.

100% trufax!

January 4, 2007 at 9:31 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Cookery rule #2.

Food will go from almost done to burnt in a nanosecond. Even faster if you're not watching.

2nd installment - 100% trufax!

January 5, 2007 at 12:31 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Also trufax:

"Cook for 4 hours at 300 degrees" is the same as cooking for 2 hours at 600 degrees, or 1 hour at 1,200 degrees.

100% trufax!

Lovely spread by the way. Sorry I missed it.

What? I wasn't invited? Oh...



P.S. Extra points to you for the Dickens reference in the title. Well done! Rather than "overdone".

I am not mad.

January 5, 2007 at 9:06 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Cookery Rule #4

You will have one child who won't eat anything with sauce and one who won't eat anything without sauce and just as one learns to love green peas, the other will decide that green peas are heinous and declare that they explode in his/her mouth.

January 5, 2007 at 11:59 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

And despite my, oh-so-genius Dickens reference in this post, for the first Christmas in my life, I did not watch one, single, solitary Christmas movie.

No Wonderful Life, no Miracle on 34th Street, not even my favourite of favourites, the Alistair Sim Scrooge (black & white of course, what are ya, a heathen???) - which I have on DVD and can watch whenever I like.

How strange. Perhaps I should do so right now, before I dot another 'i'.

January 6, 2007 at 12:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home