Friday, July 27, 2007

Out of focus


I am annoyed!


I ordered new eyeglasses three weeks ago and was told they'd arrive in two weeks, which would have been July 18. They have to be sent to a lab in Winnipeg. Do not ask why. That's where the lab is that this optical outlet uses. I ask them to call my cell phone when the glasses arrive.


July 18. The single vision "computer" glasses arrive, just as ordered and promised. No bifocals. It's a more challenging prescription. Okay.


July 23. I call and am immediately told (no checking done by clerk) the bifocals still aren't in. Grrr.


July 25. 3:30 p.m. I call again as I'll be in the mall at 7:00 p.m. for a dental appointment and it would be convenient to be able to pick up the glasses while I'm there. I'm told that they're still not it, but as the courier hasn't arrived yet, I should call in in case they're in today's delivery. GRRR.


July 25. 8:00 p.m. I go to the optical outlet. I manage, though one side of my jaw has been anaesthetized into near paralysis, to inform them of who I am and what I'm looking for. Without so much as glancing anywhere, the clerk tells me that no, the glasses are not in, but the courier brought an extra large delivery today that hasn't all been processed. I should call back tomorrow afternoon. GRRRR!!!!


July 26. 3:30 p.m. I call again. Yes! The glasses are there. I am informed that a message was left on my home phone on... July 24th advising of this fact. July 24th. As in the day before the day I was told twice that my glasses weren't in yet. I rarely check my home voice mail, as anyone who knows me calls my cell. Especially those who were specifically asked to call it! GRRRR!!!!


July 25. 5:30 p.m. I go to the mall AGAIN. This is my only reason for going. I have no need of another trip to the mall. I am hungry. It is suppertime. My house is no more than 10 mins away from the office by car, but I drive for 15 minutes in the opposite direction to go BACK to the mall for the second time in less than 24 hours.
I luck into having the manager (who is a lovely person whose patient discussion of my optical needs before I was even ready to order glasses is the main reason I went to this place) serve me. I tell him my name, he turns around to a cupboard behind the counter and plucks out my glasses in a matter of seconds. He was standing in the same spot as the clerk last night when she informed me the glasses weren't there.


I blink. I say, "Is that where you keep the newly arrived glasses?" Upon receiving an answer in the affirmative, I say, "I ask because.... " and I describe the poor customer service I have received to date, how no one I spoke to previously even took 10 seconds to check to see if the glasses were there, and how disappointed I am in it and how I will not be able to recommend this place to any of my friends. He is suitably apologetic. Thanks me for letting him know some of his staff are not giving the top-notch service he would desire.


I leave the outlet. On my way back to my car, I check the glasses by looking around very carefully to test how clearly I can see at various ranges and am pleased to find that the grind seems to be quite suited to my needs. Bifocals are persnickety things and sometimes take several frame adjustments, or even a regrind of the lens before they are suitable.


About halfway to my car, I take off the glasses and look at them again.


And that's when I notice that the lab has neglected to polish the edges of the lens. You see, these are rimless glasses. Normally, you don't see the edges of the lenses and they can leave them as rough as they please. But rimless glasses look much, much nicer if they polish the edges to a shine. Especially when they're relatively thick, as mine are. Especially if you have paid $25 extra for the service... So, not only are the staff too lazy to check to see if glasses have arrived, they are also too lazy to check them against the invoice to ensure they are as ordered.


So... back I go... The glasses have to go back to the lab in Winnipeg...


I am assured that this will not take very long at all...


It certainly won't take as long as it will before I ever go back to this particular optical outlet!

12 Comments:

Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

Wrath!

WRATH!

July 27, 2007 at 4:36 a.m.  
Blogger #Debi said...

I just picked up my new pair of bifocals yesterday as well. Nothing so dramatic as what you went through, though. I feel your pain...I hope you let out just a wee bit of wrath at the bitter irony of it all...

July 27, 2007 at 7:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're doing you a service.
They know how bad your eyesight is, so they're encouraging you to learn and remember the route to their office through repetition.

July 27, 2007 at 12:06 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

If your eyes are that bad, how did you know the lenses hadn't been polished?

*ducks*

July 27, 2007 at 1:04 p.m.  
Blogger Rik said...

Get your eyes lasered. I'd like to see them send THEM to Winnipeg!

July 27, 2007 at 2:14 p.m.  
Blogger jkirlin said...

You should go to the One Hour joint. That's what I do. ;)

July 27, 2007 at 7:40 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

SD - Oh, there has been wrath. And there will be more.

D - It was, I have to admit, carefully rationed wrath.

TRT - Yes, one more trip and my guide dog will know the way on his own.

j.g - As Tweedledum said, "Sometimes I hit things whether I can see them or not!"

R - Never. Ever, ever, ever. Ick.

JK - And where be this One Hour joint of which thou speakest? Point the way, good sirrah and I shall be on my way. Although, verily I doth expect it is thousands of miles hence.

July 27, 2007 at 7:54 p.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Ah, the perils of living on a rock.

Even a large rock.

I shall sit in my suburban house near The Big Smoke and look smug for the rest of the day.

July 28, 2007 at 1:11 p.m.  
Blogger Richard said...

The erstwhile partner/ex/girlfriend current status unknown, recently ordered a pair of rimless varifocals from ASDA (a UK spermarket now owned by Walmart). She was told 3 weeks because they had to go to Germany to be made. Back in less than a week and perfect. She also ordered a pair of readers from an online supplier. Came within a few days, completely wrong order, blind as a bat. Poor service is endemic apparently and I had so hoped that ASDA would disappoint.

July 29, 2007 at 9:39 a.m.  
Blogger Richard said...

Oh dear. ASDA are a SUPERmarket, not spermarket. That's something entirely different.

July 29, 2007 at 9:41 a.m.  
Blogger pondlife said...

I didn't read how much these time travelling specs cost you... so how much did you pay for this service?

I ask as I live in France, where many (ignorant) Britons like to tell me how rubbishy French service is and expensive at the same time.... funny though, as i find the very opposite is true...

July 30, 2007 at 6:05 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

r'pus - Yeah, yeah. Your days comin' dude. You'll do the bifocal headbob.

richard - It is disappointing when ASDA/Walmart don't disappoint, isn't it? "Spermarket" (giggle). Nicer packaging, anyway.

pondlife - Just the usual exhorbitant fee. No more than I'd pay for good service. It's a two-for-one deal. Or was it a pay-for-two-get-one deal?

*goes to read the fine print*

August 4, 2007 at 10:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home