Friday, May 07, 2010

Greece is the word

And in the coinkidink department:

So, Greece is in the news because of their financial woes.

A co-worker is going on a cruise on a real, gurt big cruise ship. Many moons ago, in high school (Jurassic era), I went on an educational cruise to the Mediterranean, which included Greece, of course. It being an education cruise, it wasn't terribly luxurious. We sailed on a troop ship that had been converted into an education cruise ship. I use the term "converted" loosely. So I went a-Gooooogling for a picture of the ship to show her, as a laugh. I found a site created by someone who had worked on the ship and was on her last voyage to Kaohsiung (Taiwan) to be scrapped.

I posted a link to the site on Faceboooook as I have recently gotten in touch with some high school buddies, some of whom were on that cruise.

While on Faceboooook, I noticed a post by a friend who is running in a fundraiser marathon in Athens. So I asked, Athens, Greece or Athens, Ontario? Greece, she replies.

On my way home from work, I stopped at the supermarket where I ran into an old drinking buddy I haven't seen in years and he tells me he and his wife are going on a trip to... wait for it... Greece.

I get home. Go back on Facebook. And there's a comment from a high school buddy who had been on that cruise asking me how I found that site.

Coinkidink? You be the judge... But I'm checking the air fare to Greece, just in case the universe is trying to tell me something...


UPDATE I was just editing the sidebar and noticed the clock is not showing the right time. Went to ClockLink.com, saw a link for "#1 free blog clock" and, curious, clicked on it so see which one is chosen most. And the time zone of the sample clock? Athens, Greece.

UPDATED UPDATE Link to the cruise ship site now repaired. Ooopsies!

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Use Greece as a test run for England! Do it do it do it! ;)

May 8, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Yes. G-r-e-e-c-e is the Old Norman word for That London.

A test run? Shouldn't that be a shorter trip? :)

May 8, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.  
Blogger Erin said...

Not necessarily. And all these little things might just be telling you to eat more feta. If you want to start on shorter trips, you are than welcome to visit Ontario. Apparently, it's Your's To Discover. It used to be Keep It Beautiful, but I suppose that sounded more like a threat than a welcome...

May 9, 2010 at 7:14 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

More feta... mmmm...

Odd you should mention that. I am being invaded by Ontarians this very summer. And doing renovations, so that's me travelling out of the province out for this year. But next summer...

I think they found threats not the best provincial tag line, in the end. Then again who knows what provincial government PR types think. Have you seen our new provincial logo featuring alien pods?

May 9, 2010 at 8:32 p.m.  
Blogger Richard said...

Your link to the cruise ship isn't working but I'm guessing it was the Uganda as everyone in the known universe has been on the Uganda, except me. Even comedian Griff Rhys Jones served a spell as a staff member on it in the early 70s and writes about it in his excellent biography "Semi-Detached". He mentions ship-board romances with girls from the colonies...

May 13, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Other Richard beat me to it, but yes, your link is teh busted (hint: there's an extra "http" in it).

Also: by coincidence, I ate a Greek salad for dinner tonight, mere hours before I read this post. ooooOOOOOoooo.

May 16, 2010 at 12:43 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Oops! Sos about the link.

The ship was the SS Nevasa, sister ship to the Uganda. So every one in the known universe has been on the Uganda except Richard and me.

May 16, 2010 at 1:47 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Nevada... Uganda... makes perfect sense.*

*not really

May 17, 2010 at 6:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home